A Roman fort lies at The fort may have been named Olenacum, or Ριγοδουνον, according to the analysis of Ptolemy's coordinates by Kleineberg et al. It guarded a Roman road linking two other forts: Bremetennacum at Ribchester and another at Ilkley. This road has been traced by archaeologists running north-east up Ribblesdale about 0.6 miles (1 km) east of Clitheroe. Then at it turns eastwards passing Barnoldswick, Elslack and Skipton.about 550 yards (500 m) north-west of Elslack.
Elslack is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book as Eleslac.
Elslack had its own railway station, but this was closed in 1952. The line passing through it suffered the same fate in 1970. The station site is now privately owned.
The Tempest Arms was named "Pub of the Year" in the 2011 Good Pub Guide.
Media related to Elslack at Wikimedia Commons