The oldest bookshop in the United Kingdom, Hatchards was founded at 173 Piccadilly, London, by John Hatchard in 1797. It moved within Piccadilly in 1801, to No.189–190; the site of the first shop was cleared in 1810 for the Egyptian Hall to be built. The second shop had a numbering change to 187, in 1820. It still trades today from the same address, and Hatchard's portrait can be seen on the staircase of the shop.
It was founded with a collection of merchandise bought from Simon Vandenbergh, a bookseller of the 18th century.
It has a reputation for attracting high-profile authors and holds three Royal Warrants.
Hatchards opened a new store in St Pancras railway station in 2014. The 2,000 sq ft store, opened at the beginning of August, is located next door to a new (2013) branch of Fortnum and Mason, continuing a relationship that goes back over two centuries.