Coat of arms
It was established in 1921 when Soviet Russia ceded the area of Pechenga to Finland. In 1922, it was merged with the province of Oulu. In 1938, Lapland was separated from the province of Oulu and the area of Petsamo became part of the new province of Lapland. In 1944, the whole of the former province of Petsamo was ceded to the Soviet Union.