Seacombe is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Seccum.
In 1845 George Turnbull was the civil engineer who designed and built the Seacombe Wall sea defence that helped drain the marshes behind the town.
Seacombe was originally a terminus for the Wirral Railway; however, passenger services ended on 4 January 1960 and all services on the line terminated on 16 June 1963. Much of the line to Seacombe station was used as the approach road to the Kingsway Tunnel.
Seacombe is situated to the north-east of the Wirral Peninsula, adjoining the River Mersey to the east. Seacombe is less than 4 km (2.5 mi) south-south-east of the Irish Sea at New Brighton and about 11 km (6.8 mi) east-north-east of the Dee Estuary at Caldy. The area is at an elevation of between 0–18 m (0–59 ft) above sea level.
Seacombe is dominated by three landmarks. The first of these is one of the terminals for the Mersey Ferry, the legendary "Ferry 'cross the Mersey" described by Gerry & The Pacemakers. The ferry travels in a triangular route between the Seacombe, Birkenhead Woodside and Liverpool Pier Head terminals. The second landmark is the parish church of St Paul. The third is a building housing some of the ventilation systems for the Kingsway Tunnel, a colossal structure which faces the river. It consists of two huge grilles which resemble stereo speakers, and a central concrete flue-like structure. This building has an almost identical counterpart on the Liverpool side of the river.