St Martin's Church, Stamford

St Martins Church Stamford.jpg
St Martin's Church, Stamford, is a parish church in the Church of England located in Stamford, Lincolnshire, England. The area of the town south of the River Welland was in Northamptonshire until 1889 and is called Stamford Baron or St Martin's.

St Martin's Church was founded by the 12th century. It was entirely rebuilt in the Perpendicular style in the 15th century.

The North Chapel houses the tombs of the Cecil family, including monuments to Sir Richard Cecil, William Cecil, first Lord Burghley, and John Cecil, 5th Earl of Exeter.

The church was restored over the course of the nineteenth century, with a new nave roof, lowered floor, extended Burghley Chapel, as well as new oak pews, pulpit, bells and organ.

The majority of the mediaeval coloured glass was bought by the Earl of Exeter from the Church of the Holy Trinity at Tattershall in 1754.

Properly it is the Church of St Martin Without, Stamford Baron.

This page was last edited on 9 January 2018, at 16:15.
Reference:,_Stamford under CC BY-SA license.

Related Topics

Recently Viewed